Saturday, March 19, 2016

Vegetarian Curry with Tofu

This is another of my go-to recipes.  It is quick and easy.  If you can chop vegetables and stir ingredients together you can make this.

The first time I made it, I used a recipe off of the back of a curry paste jar.  I've been tinkering with it ever since.

I usually cook as I go with this dish and find that it is ready just about the time the rice is.  If I'm not using the tofu I use the larger amount of vegetables listed. The tofu can be used raw or prepared ahead.  I like to fry it in oil to make it crispy, but that makes the dish take longer to prepare.

This is a very mild curry sauce.  If you like anything over one star at restaurants then you might want to spice it up.

This is all made in a single frying or saucepan, so make sure you pick one that is large enough to hold all of the ingredients.  I use an 11 x 2.5 inch sauté pan and if I stir carefully it doesn't spill over.

Vegetarian Curry with Tofu

Ingredients

  • 1 ½-2 c. dry rice (white, brown, or multi grain)
  • 2 - 13.5 oz. (400ml) cans of full fat coconut milk
  • 1 Tbsp. red curry paste
  • 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1 ⅓ Tbsp. brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 1 - 8oz. can bamboo shoots
  • 1 - 8 oz. can water chestnuts
  • ½ - 1 c. broccoli florets, cut to ½-¾ in. trees
  • ½ - 1 c. carrots, sliced or chopped in to ½ to ¾ in pieces
  • ½ - 1 c. sweet or snow peas, whole
  • 1 ½ c. Thai basil (optional)
  • ½ tsp. sea salt
  • 1 pkg tofu, firm cut into ½-¾ in cubes (optional) 
Instructions
  • Start the rice
  • Set a large pan with high sides or sauce pan to heat on the stove
  • Add the coconut milk stir occasionally as it comes to a simmer (about 5 minutes)
  • Mix the red curry paste, soy sauce, and brown sugar in a small bowl
  • Chop the broccoli and carrots
  • Add the curry mixture to the simmering coconut milk and stir until well mixed
  • If using tofu, add now
  • Bring the contents back to a very low boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes
  • Add the vegetables, Thai basil, and salt and cook on low heat for 10 minutes

Serve with rice

Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to a week.





1 comment: