Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Cauliflower Soup

While my housemate and I were staying at a hotel recently she had the hotel's Cauliflower Soup and raved about it.  Now cauliflower is one of many foods I don't tolerate well, but I have many friends who love cauliflower or use it as a substitute for potatoes for dietary reasons, so I thought I would take a stab at making cauliflower soup.

I went easy on the salt because my roommate had said that the hotel's version was a bit to salty and it is easy for folks to salt their own portion to taste but difficult to remove salt once it's in the soup.

After looking at several recipes, this is what I came up with:

Cauliflower Soup

Ingredients
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tsp. ground coriander
  • 1 tsp. celery salt
  • ½ tsp. asafoetida
  • ½ tsp. celery seeds
  • 700 g cauliflower florets (two smallish heads), chopped into roughly 1-2 inch pieces
  • 1 L. vegetable stock
  • 150 ml double cream
  • salt and pepper to taste

Instructions
  • Heat the oil on medium in a large stock pot
  • Add the cumin, coriander, celery salt, asafoetida, and celery seeds and fry in the oil for a few minutes until well mixed and fragrant
  • Add the vegetable stock and stir until warmed
  • Add the cauliflower and bring to a boil
  • Turn the heat down until the soup is simmering and stir occasionally until the cauliflower is tender (8-10 minutes)
  • Take off the heat and let cool. I poured mine into a clean bowl to encourage it to cool more quickly
  • Once the soup is cool enough to handle safely, run it through a food processor in batches until it is all pureed (be careful not to overfill the food processor-- it can get messy if you do)
  • Put it back in the pot and add the cream, salt, and pepper
  • Reheat on low on the stove top until it is warm through
Serve warm to your cauliflower loving friends.

Tools: large stock pot, food processor

No comments:

Post a Comment