Sunday, May 29, 2016

Homemade Granola

I started with the King Arthur Flour Cruncy Granola recipe, and while it was tasty, I found it to be too sweet and my family found that the added fruit could send it over the edge into sickly sweet. I also found that 18 cups was a lot to make and have room to store, so I started tinkering with the recipe after I had made it as written a few times.

Here is what I came up with after getting feedback from my family and reviewing several other granola recipes online:

    Ingredients

  • 300 g (3 1/2 c.)rolled oats, uncooked
  • 100 g (1 c.) sliced almonds
  • 100 g (1 c.) chopped pecans or walnuts, or mix of both
  • 100 g (1 c.) sliced hazelnuts
  • 60 ml (1/4 c.) vegetable oil
  • 120 ml (1/2 c.) pure maple syrup
  • 15 ml (1 Tbsp.) vanilla
  • 1/4 tsp salt

    Instructions

  • Prepare a large (I use a bakers half sheet) baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper
  • Pre-heat the oven to 250F/120C/1/2gas
  • Mix the oats and nuts in a bowl large enough to fit all of the ingredients with room to stir-- mix until well combined
  • Mix the vegetable oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt in a small bowl and wisk together
  • Add the liquid to the dry mix and stir until the dry ingredients are evenly coated in the liquid
  • Spread evenly in the baking sheet and press flat
  • Bake for 40 minutes, turning the pan halfway through
  • Remove from the oven and let the granola cool in the pan
  • Store in an airtight container at room tempurate for several weeks (if it lasts that long!). I use a 2.8 l (3 qt) container to store mine

Option

Mix a batch of your favorite dried fruit, chopped into edible bits, and use it to flavor the granola to taste. Keeping the fruit seperate helps control the sweetness of the granola.

Tools: large mixing bowl, small mixing bowl, large baking sheet

No comments:

Post a Comment