Saturday, March 12, 2016

Welcome

I've been teaching myself to cook for the past few years.  Cooking is not a skill that came naturally to me.  I have a long history of over seasoning, mis-reading ingredient quantities, and setting things on fire.

However, I also have food sensitivities-- reactions that don't rise to the level of allergies but make me unhappy to say the least.  In my twenties & early thirties it was dairy products. (I was thrilled when, after a trip to Norway, I came home and was able drink milk again).  Currently the list of foods I can't tolerate are onions, garlic, tomato, melon, and beans.  I live in a household with a vegetarian and am eat a mostly vegetarian diet myself.  Given that onions, garlic, and beans are staples in vegetarian recipes this has made finding food the entire household can eat a challenge.

Because of my onion & garlic issues, we are limited in the type and amount of prepared food we can buy.

All of these factors together combined to encourage me to take another stab at learning to cook.

Over the years I found that there are actually a fair number of people who have the same onion & garlic sensitivity that I do so I thought I would put the recipes I used up where other folks could use them.

Most of my recipes started off being based on someone else's work.  Wherever possible I will cite where the original recipe came from.

I am only a few years into learning how to cook and am just getting to the point where I understand a bit more about the underlying ideas behind cooking.  There is a lot that I don't yet know.

I invite you along on my cooking journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment