Saturday, March 12, 2016

Universal Biscuits

This is another of my early recipes.  For some reason baking was always easier for me than stove-top cooking and scones and biscuits were one of the first things I learned to make.  I remember my paternal grandmother teaching me to make her biscuits but I don't have her recipe.  However, I'm pretty happy with mine. I call them 'Universal Biscuits' because the dough can be sweetened for use on sweet dishes or spices can be added to better pair them with as savory dish.

Universal Biscuits

Ingredients:
  • 3 ½ c. all purpose flour
  • 5 tsp. baking powder
  • ½ c. salted butter (if using unsalted then salt the batter to taste, or use sugar to taste for a sweeter biscuit)
  • 1 ½ c. whole milk (any milk works but the creamier the milk the creamier the biscuit)

Instructions for mixing:
  • Heat oven to 400F/ 200C
  • Mix the flour and backing powder
  • Add the salt or sugar if using
  • Cut in the butter until finely mixed. I use a stand mixer and let it run on low until it looks right- there shouldn't be any large clumps of butter showing
Instructions for shaping:
  • For drop biscuits
    • Drop dough onto pan using two spoons (one to scoop, one to scrape)
    • Dough blobs should be ~2-3 inches across
    • Bake
  • For cut biscuits
    • Form the dough into a ball and pat or roll to ½-¾ inch thickness
    • Cut with a biscuit cutter to desired size (1-3 inches)
    • Note: smaller-diameter biscuits will take less time to bake
  • Bake at 400F/ 200C for 15-20 minutes or until golden-brown on top
These are best served warm with butter but do hold up for a few days if stored room-temperate in a sealed container.

No comments:

Post a Comment