Saturday, March 12, 2016

Norwegian Pancakes

This is one of the first recipes I ever learned and ever made on my own.  My mother made them for us a kids and her Norwegian grandmother had made them for her. This recipe is very simple and is one of the few that I can recite from memory. The are best eaten hot off the stove. When I make them for my family I eat mine standing at the stove while the next one cooks.

I use fairly heavy pans, so I usually start my pan heating first thing and I use the smallest pan I have.  I like making my batter in my 2 cup liquid measuring cup the spout makes it easy to pour the batter into the pan.

Norwegian Pancakes

Ingredients:

  • 1 egg per person
  • milk
  • flour
  • sugar (optional)

Instructions:

  • Beat the eggs with a fork or whisk until the whites and yolks are combined.
  • Whisk in flour a bit at a time until thick stiffly-creamy. 
  • Thin with milk until runny-creamy.
  • (Optional: add a bit of sugar to sweeten the batter)
  • Heat frypan to medium heat. Pick a pan that is easy to lift.
  • Pour a two inch pool of batter into the center of the pan. 
  • Swirl the batter around the pan to make a thin layer of batter 4-5 inches in diameter.
  • Let the pancake sit until the edges go from shiny to matte and bubbles rise through the batter.
  • Flip the pancake over. The top should be cream colored with a few light brown spots.
  • Wait a bit and remove from heat. Underside should be a nice golden color.

Tools: frypan, mixing bowl, spatula

I put butter, jam, sugar, and peanut butter out as toppings.  My favorite way to eat them is with butter and a sprinkling of sugar.



No comments:

Post a Comment